Growing old doesn't mean giving up.

Not long ago in life I dreaded growing old.  I didn't want to get so old that the quality of life I wanted would diminish.  I though getting older would slow me down and eventually have me sitting in a  chair staring out a window at the world as it went by.  It was a scary thought and I just hated thinking of what was coming.

One of my fears was the physical changes that comes with age.  I see so many who just become so physically old that they cannot function.  My health is something I have struggled with over the years and weight issues plaque me to no end.  But getting older and trying to stay active and on the go becomes a bit more of a struggle for some.   I have already noticed more wrinkles, a bit more sagging in places, and of course the need for a nap during the day.  We all know that old people need their afternoon nappy time.

I also fear the mental changes.  I don't want to become a crotchety old man who complains all the time and yells at kids.  OMG, I already do that.  Have I already crossed over?  Am I an old person?  A senior citizen? 

Well, I will be 50 years old in a few months.  It is a mile stone in life and it officially makes me eligible for AARP discounts.   So does that make me a senior citizen?  OMG!  Am I going to be one of those people whom I scream and yell at on the highway for driving too slow and won't get out of the way?  I'm not sure what age constitutes a senior citizen, but I don't think I want to get there too fast.  But of course, I'm looking forward to all the discounts and specials I can get.  Lots of cheap meals, drinks, free coffee, discounted rooms, easier access to places and less of a hassle to get handicap parking plaques for the car.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants that.

I recently became a grandfather and I didn't quite know how to accept and handle that title.  I think becoming a grandparent brings you up a step in life and sets a path for new and exciting things.  It took me a little bit of time to get used to having a tiny one in our lives.  It had been more than 20 years since we had a baby crawling around and it was some what of a new experience all over again.  I can now say that I look forward to seeing her each and every time and I cannot wait for her to know and understand that grandpa will spoil her and give her anything she wants.  Yes!  I am making that pledge right now.  God help the world!

So as I quietly make my way into that era of denture cream, doctors visits, walkers, afternoon nappys, in bed by 7pm, every meal at Cracker Barrel, and the dreaded adult diaper (let's hope that oen doesn't come to fruition), I make the best of the years I have left and look forward to being someone's Grandpa and the one they all know will never say no to them.

Comments