Are we friends? Are we acquaintances?

What is a friend?  What is it that we really expect of a friend?  Are we as much of a friend to our friends as they are to us?

I often wondered if my friends thought of me the same as I think of them.  The thing about me is that I am a very loyal friend.  Once a friend of mine, always a friend of mine.  There is nearly nothing that will separate us of our friendship. I will give my shirt, my pants, my undies and even my athlete's foot.  I have received calls in the middle of the night from friends and was out the door in minutes.  I have received calls from friends in dire emotional stress and listened for hours and hardly said a word.  I have paid for dinners and never expected anything in return.  I have bought food, gas, clothes, and so many things.  Yet never expected anything in return.

Emotionally, I have been there every time for my friends.  I give support, love, understanding, a shoulder to cry on, an ear full when necessary, and always let them know I am going to be there for them. 

Is this what you expect of a friend?  Is what I described myself as the kind of person you think of when thinking of what a friend is?  We all have our own opinions on what a friend is.  The problem is that we never seem to be able to find that person.  Yes, I have friends whom I consider to be the absolute best of friends, yet I don't feel they would do all that I described.  My expectations are based on who I am and who I consider myself to be as a friend.  Am I expecting too much?  Are my standards to high?

I have met some great people in my life.  But none, with the exception of a very few, have met the standards on my application for friends.  The few who have met those standards are still around and still are within or above my expectations.  I also have met some friends whom I know will eventually, very soon, be in that elite group.

I see so many quotes about what friends and best friends are.  Two in particular seems to stick with me:
  • "A friend will come bail you out of jail but, your best friend will be sitting next to you saying… “Wow that was fun!”
  • "You're my best friend.  “You laugh, I laugh, You cry, I cry, You scream, I scream, You jump off a bridge, I get a boat and save your stupid A**”
 We need friends.  But we need best friends as well.  My best friends know me inside and out.  They know how I think, how I feel, and know exactly what I am thinking even if I don't say a word.  My best friends are more than brothers or sisters.  I have a best friend who said, "there is a friend who is more than a brother".  Well, that is what I want and thankfully, I have.  I also have some who are more than sisters.

I also have to talk about those friends we have who no one knows about.  Yes, some of us have best friends that our other best friends do not know about.  But how can that be?  If our best friends know everything about us, then why don't they know about the other best friend or friends we have?  Oh what a tangled web of best friends we weave.  We're cheating on our bestys.  That's almost as bad, if not worse than cheating on a spouse.  Best friends can be some very jealous people.  We know this because we are "best friends".  Are you harboring a secret best friend?

Sometimes in life someone comes into your life and instantly you know this is going to be something that will last a lifetime.  I'm not talking about your future spouse or partner.  Whether it be male or female, we seem to find someone who fits the bill.  It is rare to find such a person.  Sometimes there is something that brings people together.  Sometimes that one thing is something we would never think would find us a friend so dear.

Look around and enjoy the sights.  Don't be so diligent about trying to find friends.  They are out there.  You would be surprised at how easy it is to find a friend when you really aren't looking.  Unlike me, don't have too many expectations.  It's when you least expect it someone will pop up and surprise you.

There is also a friend of which there is no one who can compare.  This friend is someone who shares something that is deep inside and no one else can understand.  This friend is someone who knows, understands, doesn't judge, always knows how you feel, always gets it.  It's someone who is always somewhere in the back of your mind no matter what you are doing.  It is that someone who knows your heart.

I have stopped asking the question:  "are we best friends or acquaintances?"  I think I already know.


Comments