Is There Anyone Out There?

I often wonder how many people out there have suffered through what I have.  I wonder who can understand, empathize and feel it like I do.  Does anyone really know what I went through?  Does anyone really know anything about me?

It wasn't until I wrote this book and published it, did I begin to see the vastness of the crowd of people who have or are still suffering from abuse of any kind.  It was as though they began to come out of the wood work, yet they were there all along.  Was, or am I as blind as the rest of society?  Did I fail to see that I was not the only one?  Why could I not see them as much as I wished they could see me?

Even as a victim we tend to turn a blind eye to the abuse others suffer for fear of everyone knowing what we are so ashamed of.  Knowing we are embarrassed about what has happened to us and we hide at all cost.  And the cost, more often than not, is our own ability to move on or live even the minimal amount of a normal life.

I see people walking by me everyday and wonder what their life is like and what they fear or are ashamed of.  I think that I am the only one who sometimes shows the embarrassment and shame.  But I am not alone.  So many are out there who don't know where to go or who to turn to.  They have no idea that there are millions of us who suffered as much as they did or still do.  But how do we find each other.  Where do we get the support and understanding we need?

Today's society spends its time online and lives with its face in front of the computer screen or the smart phone.  So it would make sense that we can find help and support online.  But what can we do to be sure that what we find and what we respond to is real and and a true place of support?  Blogs are a good place to find some support.  But we also need to keep in mind that we have no idea who some of these bloggers are.  So just be cautious.  I have come across many who claim to be survivors and yet there is something that tells me different.  It's that feeling in your stomach and inside your head that says "be careful".  I have found many places to go for information and a little support when needed.

Be sure to take care of you first.  Nothing else is important if you aren't there to enjoy it or them.

Adults Surviving Childhood Abuse, provides professional support, education and training programs, as well as a trauma-informed approach to care to improve the lives of adults abused as children.
http://www.asca.affiniscape.com/index.cfm

Taylor-Made Thoughts & Doodles
http://taylorfulks.com/

Pandora's Project offers peer support to anyone who has been a victim of rape, sexual assault, or sexual abuse through our online support group, Pandora's Aquarium.
http://www.pandorasproject.org/index.html

Healing from childhood sexual abuse can happen.
http://kimmysurviving.wordpress.com/

Comments